Cue the mighty slow cooker.
Slow cookers are the work horse of the kitchen. They can take fairly simple ingredients and turn them into a gourmet masterpiece!
Some of my favourite recipes are from the slow cooker:
- Roast beef with fingerling potatoes and button mushrooms
- Chipotle pulled brisket tacos
- Sweet barbecue pulled pork
- Decadent mac and cheese
- Cheesy chicken quesadillas
The possibilities go on and on… one of my favourite sites for slow cooker recipes is Allrecipes.com
Today is our 1 year anniversary (yay!) and I wanted to make a delicious dinner to go with our 1st tier of wedding cake that has been in the freezer since our wedding day. Also, my hockey team is playing at 6 p.m. tonight (GO HABS GO!), so I needed a dinner that was low on time commitment and high on flavour.
So at 9:30 a.m. this morning, the ingredients went in for a Beef Stroganoff:
Things you need to make a slow cooker beef stroganoff:
- Stewing beef (cubed) – I love our local Rowe Farms, where we know where the beef has come from (farm to table, y’all)
- Mushrooms – button, crimini, shitaki… whatever you like!
- Onions – I prefer a sweet onion for a slow cooker recipe.
- Seasoning – Clubhouse has some great seasoning packages with many different blends for your chosen recipe.
- Sour Cream – I prefer sour cream, but you could also use a crème fraîche for the same texture, but less tangy flavour.
- Egg Noodles – or any starch, really. This is just a great compliment to the meal.
Place mushrooms, onions and beef into slow cooker.
Mix seasoning package with water. Pour mixture over ingredients. Set slow cooker to ‘low’ for 8 hours.
In 7 1/2 ish hours, you start a pot of salted water to boil for the pasta. With a few minutes to spare on the slow cooker, stir in desired amount of crème fraîche. Drain pasta. Incorporate pasta into slow cooker contents. Serve beef deliciousness.
And that’s it.
I shit you not, it’s that simple.
Also? Who knew year old frozen cake could taste so good?! Wedding cake by Tier Delight in Barrie, Ontario