Yah. these were mighty tasty! Adding them as a regular to my Christmas cookie recipes.
Inspired from Alton Brown’s Peppermint pinwheel cookies
Ingredients (start by making a sugar cookie dough):
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
For when sugar cookie dough is done:
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate wafers, melted (I’m sure you could use chocolate chips if you can’t get your hands on wafers)
- 3 tablespoons high quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes (word to the wise – Bulk Barn has crushed candy canes, or you can toss some regular candy canes in the food processor for a little spin)
Divide the dough in half and add melted chocolate, cocoa powder and vanilla to 1st half and incorporate (I used my mixer for this)
Add egg yolk, peppermint extract, and crushed candy canes to the 2nd half of the sugar cookie dough and incorporate (I used my mixer for this)
Cover both with plastic and chill for approximately 5 minutes.
Roll out doughs separately to approximately 1/4-inch thickness. Place peppermint dough on top of chocolate and press together around the edges. Using waxed paper or flexible cutting board underneath, roll dough into log. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for 2 hours. It’s ok if your dough breaks a bit while rolling. This give it the fun swirly effect!
Preheat oven to 375ºF
Remove dough from the refrigerator and cut into 1/2-inch slices.
Place cookies 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat (I used a silicone mat) and bake for 11 to 12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking time. Watch these cookies carefully, as they can turn from done to borderline burnt in a real hurry (speaking from experience!)
Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.